In the last post, I started upgrading to Rails 3.1 on Heroku by first satisfying some of the prerequisites, such as ensuring that my application would run on Ruby 1.9.2.
In this post, I’m going to continue that process by actually migrating my Heroku application from a Bamboo stack to the new Cedar stack.
Since this is a real-world, live application, it’s important that everything be tested in a staging environment before I start mucking about with the live application. Since Heroku apps are (almost) free and take (almost) no time to setup, I’ll be relying heavily on that feature during this process.
I am developing an application on Heroku’s Bamboo stack (bamboo-ree-1.8.7) that’s currently on Rails 3.0. I’d like to upgrade to Rails 3.1 to get the new asset pipeline working for me, but that, unfortunately, isn’t quite as easy as just updating my Gemfile. In this first part of the series I’ve documented the prerequisite steps by upgrading to Ruby 1.9.2 on my local machine. Continue reading
A few months ago, after purchasing a Nikon D7000 DSLR camera, I decided I should
really get serious about maintaining a blog on which to not only showcase my photography, but also to showcase myself, as a photographer, a developer and as a person. I want a “portfolio of me”; something a potential client or employer could look at that would represent who I am and what I can do.
I have started and abandoned blogs in the past, and have generally lost interest shortly after getting the blog up and running, making it look and feel like something I like, and making a few posts. But this time had to be different. Continue reading